Gardening

Portmeirion planter botanic garden

Portmeirion planter botanic garden


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Portmeirion planter botanic garden

The Portmeirion planter botanic garden is a privately owned garden in Portmeirion, near Pembrokeshire, Wales. It has four of the 19 surviving elements of The Pembrokeshire Bird-Cage Garden, and is a Grade II* listed building.

The garden was created in 1913 to house a collection of newly discovered fossils of botanical origin.

After being closed for over 50 years, the garden has been partly restored and is open to the public on certain days.

Historie

Bird-cage garden

Garden designer and architect Reginald Blomfield visited the Pembrokeshire coastal area in 1911. Whilst there he noticed the thousands of shells and bones protruding from the cliff at South Stack on Bardsey Island, South Wales. Blomfield was the founder of both the Portmeirion planter botanic garden and the nearby Pembrokeshire Bird-Cage Garden, both of which were designed to house the shells he discovered.

A cave at the bottom of South Stack is said to be the oldest known cave on the British mainland. It dates from at least 18,000 years BP. It was discovered in the 1820s by a local farm hand and archaeological finds include hand axes, biface (spear heads), flint blades and flint tools. Nearby at Borth beach is a Neolithic round barrow, which may date from the Late Neolithic period around 4000 years ago.

In his diaries, Blomfield recorded his visits to South Stack, of which he considered it 'the real British bird cage'.

During his 1910–13 visits, Blomfield noted a large number of fossilised bird-like dinosaur bones scattered about the South Stack cave system, around 30,000 in all. At the time there was no modern understanding of the dating of fossilisation or the age of the animals.

There were several theories of the origin of such a large fossilised bird-bone collection, such as the dinosaur bones having been plundered for archaeological artefacts, or the bones having been transported there by sea by the ash cloud left by a comet strike. Blomfield proposed the possibility that birds had made use of an area of ice around 5,000 years ago, which would explain how so many bones were preserved. He noted the presence of fur and feathers of birds and mentioned a belief that birds had used the cave during the ice age.

Blomfield visited South Stack three times, during 1912 and 1913. The South Stack expedition of 1912 led to the discovery of nearly 500 specimens of early bird bones (bird-like remains), primarily from the Late Cretaceous epoch. Blomfield firstly reported the specimens to John Samuel Graves, director of the London Natural History Museum, at a meeting at the Linnean Society of London. Graves later accompanied Blomfield to South Stack in 1913, where they found further examples of specimens of bird-like remains and material which Blomfield described as microliths (incomplete specimens).

In 1910, Graves published the results of his research into the pigeon-sized specimens found in cave deposits at nearby Trethevy quarry, where he had discovered what was at the time, the first evidence of prehistoric birds in the British Isles.

By 1912, the recovery of the South Stack remains from layers of ash deposited in the cave by the 'Great Storm' of the 1703 hurricane had revealed that the bones were of'modern-like' birds, rather than ancient dinosaurs. The discovery that many of the remains were fossilised was a new revelation which challenged existing ideas of the distribution of fossilised material in the area.

Blomfield designed the "Pembrokeshire bird-cage" to display the fossils. Blomfield used the word "botanical" because he thought of the fossils as being botanical, i.e. plant-like remains.

Blomfield never managed to raise sufficient funds for the planter and the Pembrokeshire Bird-Cage Garden was opened in 1913. The shells found there formed the basis of the Portmeirion planter botanic garden and some of the exhibits are now kept in Cardiff. It opened to the public in January 1915.

Portmeirion planter botanic garden

In the 1920s, Portmeirion itself began to become a tourist destination. Around 1922, Blomfield's son, Ronald, built a small planter in the grounds of the house, to display the newly discovered Portmeirion fossils. In 1926, a shell collection was opened on the premises, later renamed The Portmeirion Planter Botanic Garden.

During the Great Depression, the garden closed in 1933.

Reopening

It was first proposed that the garden be reopened in 1979, and the application to reopen was granted by Sir William


Se videoen: BOTANIC GARDEN от Portmerion. Обзор коллекции (Juli 2022).


Kommentarer:

  1. Amare

    What magnificent phrase

  2. Grogor

    The same type of urbanization

  3. Fitz Water

    Beklager at jeg forstyrrer... Jeg har en lignende situasjon. Jeg inviterer deg til en diskusjon.

  4. Salar

    Jeg tror at du tar feil.

  5. Dait

    En veldig morsom tanke



Skrive en melding